How Do You File Taxes While in Prison?

To file taxes while in jail or prison, inmates with computer access may visit the IRS website and download the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Those seeking assistance from someone on the outside must have their party complete Power of Attorney Form 2848 to file on the their behalf.

While most inmates earn a fraction of minimum wage and do not meet the earnings threshhold required to file, income from the filing year prior to incarceration and from other sources -such as interest earned from investments and bank accounts- that exceeds the predetermined limit require the inmate to file.

The completed and signed forms must meet the April deadline set forth by the IRS.