How Do You File a Grievance With an Employer?


Quick Answer

To file a grievance with an employer, first file a complaint statement with the Human Resources department of the company. Then, file a grievance with a government agency, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Types of grievances that employees make consist of wage and hour claims, dangerous work conditions, harassment and/or wrongful termination. It's recommended that before going to a government agency, a grievance is first filed within the company's HR department if possible. While this may provide a temporary resolution, and because it's not always possible to do this, a grievance should also be filed with the government.

Different government agencies specialize in different types of grievances. For example, the EEOC specializes in hiring and discrimination complaints, while the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, specializes in workplace safety grievances. After a grievance is filed, the government agency conducts an investigation into the complaint. If the employer is found liable, the agency may award damages in the form of money, or they may force the company to change its work policies.

If the government agency fails to find a company liable or declines conducting an investigation, a private lawsuit can be filed with a civic court. However, the employee must first file a grievance with a government agency before they can file a civil complaint in court.

Learn more about Careers

Related Questions