How Do You File Federal Taxes?


Quick Answer

The three forms individuals need to use to file federal taxes are Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A or Form 1040, according to the Internal Revenue Service. Individuals need to know what form they are required to fill out according to their financial and personal situations.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Individuals may file taxes using Form 1040EZ if they meet all of 11 conditions, as detailed by the IRS. This is the easiest form to file, and among some of the conditions that filers must meet to use this form are that the filing status must be single or filing jointly, and the taxable income has to be under $100,000. Filers using this form must also not claim any dependents, any adjustments to income or any credits other than the earned income credit. If an individual cannot use Form 1040EZ, he may be able to use Form 1040A if he meets six conditions. Some of these conditions are the same as the ones for using Form 1040EZ, such as having a taxable income under $100,000. Other conditions include not having itemized deductions.

Under certain conditions, such as having a taxable income over $100,000, itemizing deductions or owing household employment taxes, filers must use Form 1040, states the IRS. Filers should consult the IRS website to review all conditions pertaining to filing the correct form.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions