How Do You File Basic Income Taxes for 2012?


Quick Answer

Start filing your 2012 income taxes by finding your W-2s, 1099s and other tax forms that demonstrate earned income for the 2012 tax year, advises TurboTax. Then collect proof of any applicable deductions, and download the 2012 tax forms and accompanying instruction booklet from the Internal Revenue Service website.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Prepare your taxes by hand or using tax preparation software for the 2012 tax year, instructs TurboTax. Be sure to use all of the schedules, forms and instructions for 2012. If you owe any taxes for 2012, include a payment to reduce interest penalties. File no later than April 15, 2016 to collect a federal tax refund from the IRS, directs USTaxCenter.

When you complete the tax return, send it to the address listed in the 2012 IRS instruction booklet, advises USTaxCenter. The IRS does not allow e-filing of any tax returns that are six months or more overdue.

Ask for missing W-2s, 1099s, 1098s and other forms from the IRS using Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, according to TurboTax. The IRS doesn't send a copy of the actual form, but it includes all the information in the transcript that people need to file their taxes. It may take 45 days to receive the requested information.

Learn more about Income Tax

Related Questions