How Do You Earn a Gas Safety Certificate?


Quick Answer

Gas Safety certificates in the United Kingdom are provided by Gas Safe-registered engineers. GasSafeRegister.co.uk offers a directory of businesses and engineers with Gas Safe registration.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Landlords in the United Kingdom are required by law to ensure the maintenance of all gas pipework, flues and appliances and to arrange for their annual inspection by a Gas Safe-registered engineer. Upon inspection, the engineer provides the landlord with a record of this inspection. The landlord must keep these records for two years, and must provide tenants with a copy of the record within 28 days of inspection, or before a new tenant moves in. Landlords are only required to maintain and check the safety of their own appliances and are not liable for the safety of a tenant's own appliances.

To ensure that an engineer is on the Gas Safe register, check the Gas Safe ID card carried by all Gas Safe-registered engineers. Alternatively, consult the Gas Safe registry at GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Gas Safe also provides a free phone line for this purpose.

The Gas Safe registry is the official gas registration body for the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man and Guernsey, and all gas engineers are required by law to be on this registry.

Learn more about Business Resources

Related Questions