What Documents Do You Need to Provide With the PA Tax Return Forms?


Quick Answer

When filing Pennsylvania tax returns, most filers need W-2 or 1099 tax documents from employers that provide income earned, 1098 forms for mortgage interest paid and a 1095 health form if health insurance was purchased from an outside vendor. Filers with educational expenses may need a 1098-E form when filing.

Continue Reading
What Documents Do You Need to Provide With the PA Tax Return Forms?
Credit: Chris Potter CC-BY 2.0

Full Answer

The most common tax form needed when filing an annual tax return is an income statement from an employer or client. A W-2 form indicates how much money was earned, how much income was withheld for taxes, Social Security and Medicare. Any contributions to medical accounts, child care reimbursement plans and retirement plans are also included in a W-2. Individuals who are self-employed typically receive a 1099 form from clients detailing income earned. A 1099-INT form may also be necessary if filers earned interest on a bank account or cashed in savings bonds that exceed $10, as of 2015.

In Pennsylvania, an individual must file personal income taxes if gross taxable income in excess of $33 was earned within the year or if a loss was incurred from financial transactions from a partnership, sole proprietor organization or corporation shareholder. Pennsylvania residents, even as minors, are required to file taxes regardless if taxes are withheld from income sources.

Learn more about Taxes
Related Videos

Related Questions