How Do You Dispute Wrong Information on Your Credit Report?


Quick Answer

To dispute wrong information on your credit report, contact acredit reporting agency and file a dispute request. The three main agencies are Experian, Equifax and Transunion. These agencies will contact the data provider which will have 30 to 45 days to respond, according to the Federal Trade Commission(FTC).

Continue Reading
How Do You Dispute Wrong Information on Your Credit Report?
Credit: danielfela iStock / Getty Images Plus Getty Images

Full Answer

Credit reporting companies will investigate a dispute to check for accuracy. If the data provider does not respond within the required time frame or has not been verified accurately, the report will be removed from the creditors file. If it is accurate, the file will be updated to reflect the change.

If there is a dispute on file, credit reporting companies recommend the creditor not apply for credit until the dispute has been settled, according to Transunion.

It is not necessary to contact each credit reporting agency separately.Reports can be filed directly with the FTC as stated on their website.Information required is name, address, Social Security number and birth date. For security reasons the credit reporting agency will require a piece of confidential information from your file, such as a monthly payment number.

If a company denies an application for credit, request a copy of the report within 60 days from the notice.

Learn more about Credit & Lending
Related Videos

Related Questions