How Do You Dispute Your Credit Report With Equifax?

To dispute inaccurate information on your credit report with Equifax, as of 2015, request an investigation using the Online Dispute process, or send a letter to Equifax Information Services, LLC, P.O. Box 740256, Atlanta, GA, 30374, instructs Equifax. Provide the necessary documents to support the dispute.

Send the documents to Equifax and other companies involved with the information you're disputing, states Equifax. If there are inaccuracies with a credit reporting agency, obtain your credit file from the other agencies to check if their files also contain the same error. Contact Experian by calling 888-397-3742. The phone number of TransUnion is 800-916-8800.

If your credit file shows an incorrect name or address, call your creditors first to verify the accuracy of your personal information in their records, recommends Equifax. This ensures that Equifax receives accurate personal information from your creditors.

Equifax sends the outcome of the investigation through mail; however, you may receive the results via email and view the information online if you included an email address in your written request, notes Equifax. Cardholders typically receive the results within 30 days of the request. Equifax may correct the disputed information, leave the credit file unchanged, or delete the file, depending on the results. The credit reporting agency informs consumers if the creditor that provided the information verified the accuracy of its credit report.