Why did Wawa close its original store?


Quick Answer

Wawa closed its original store at the corner of Macdade Boulevard and Swarthmore Avenue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, because it built a new Super Wawa in the same location. The new Super Wawa store is still considered store number one for the giant Pennsylvania-based convenience store chain.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

In 1803, Wawa, Inc. started its business as an iron foundry located in New Jersey. Almost a century later in 1902 the owner, George Wood, started dairy farming and set up a small production facility in Wawa, Pennsylvania. The dairy business grew well until the decline of home milk delivery in the 1960s. That is when George's grandson, Grahame Wood, opened the first Wawa Food Store in 1964 as a way of selling dairy products.

Since that time, the chain has been an innovator in the convenience store business, adding stores in five more states, including New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Florida, while growing to employ more than 22,000 workers as of 2015.

The chain is known for having the lowest pricing on milk and cigarettes that is allowed by law. It is also known for advancing technology in the convenience store business through innovations such as the touch screen sandwich kiosk. The service was championed to a national audience by presidential candidate Mitt Romney during the 2012 election as an example of the benefits of private sector competition.

Learn more about Corporations

Related Questions