How Do You Decide Which Hotel Tax Exempt Form You Need?


Quick Answer

Travelers conducting U.S. government business may be eligible for hotel tax exemption within the states they travel, as noted by the Defense Travel Management Office. Officials from foreign states may also receive hotel tax exemptions and may obtain exemption forms, according to the U.S. Department of State.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Forms differ depending on the need and traveler, as the U.S. Department of State reports. If the Federal Government pays for hotel costs or sends a traveler on official business, then hotel taxes are exempt for the trip, as stated by the Defense Travel Management Office. Individual government employees paying hotel expenses may also be eligible for a hotel tax waiver and may need to fill out different forms to apply depending on the state or municipality. Hotels may not be required to issue an exemption and travelers should ask the hotel directly.

Foreign officials and others conducting foreign government business within the United States may obtain exemption cards and forms in advance of their trip or arrange exemption with the hotel directly, as noted by the U.S. Department of State. Travelers may also be reimbursed for hotel taxes already paid. Hotel costs must be paid in the name of a foreign government or foreign government agency and may not be paid in cash.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions