The Dallas Market Center, located at 2000 Stemmons Freeway in Dallas, Texas, was built in 1957. The 200,000-square-foot facility combined the Dallas Decorative Center and The Home Furnishings Mart and attracted 1,850 stores to its inaugural Homefurnishings Market held in July of the same year.
Originally organized as a Retail Furnishings Association of Texas by the Southwest Furniture Manufacturers Association in 1923, the market rotated between locations in Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth and San Antonio. Due to a burgeoning demand by Dallas-area decorators and salespeople, a 40,000-square-foot Dallas Decorative Center was built. From these humble beginnings, it expanded into the Dallas Market Center and continued to expand well into the 1980s.