Q:

Is Craigslist stock publicly traded?

A:

Quick Answer

As of September 2015, Craigslist stock does not trade publicly, according to Owen Thomas for Gawker. Craigslist founder Craig Newmark and CEO Jim Buckmaster own preferred stock in the private company.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

In June 2015, eBay sold its 28.4 percent ownership stake back to Craigslist, reports Reuters. EBay had acquired these shares in 2004 from Craigslist co-founder Phillip Knowlton, states Thomas. EBay paid $16 million to Knowlton and an additional $16 million to Craigslist for the shares. The $16 million paid to Craigslist was paid out as a dividend to Newmark and Buckmaster based on their ownership stakes. Newmark held approximately 60 percent of the remaining shares, and Buckmaster held the other 40 percent.

Learn more about Investing

Related Questions

Explore