How Do You Correct a Mistake on Your W-2 Form?


Quick Answer

You can correct a mistake on your W-2 form by contacting your employer and requesting that the mistake be corrected, Nolo explains. If you are unable to have your employer correct the mistake, you can call the IRS and ask for assistance.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Employers are required to submit W-2s to their employees by January 31 of each year. Nolo suggests that if mistakes are found, employees first try to work the problem out with their employer and ask the employer to submit a correct W-2 by February 14 of that year.

If the employer does not issue a correct W-2, Nolo then suggests the taxpayer call the IRS to work out a resolution. After February 14, the IRS contacts the employer and request the correct W-2. When calling the IRS for resolution, you should provide it with your name and address, your employer's name and address, your Social Security number, and the dates of your employment.

If you still don't receive a correct W-2, you should file your tax return using Form 4852, which is a substitute for the W-2. To complete the form, you need your total wages, tips and other compensation, along with the amount of taxes withheld from your pay check, Nolo advises.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions