Where Do You Get a Free Copy of Your Tax Return?

Free federal tax return transcripts are available from the IRS by request online, by phone or by mail and are available for the current tax year as well as the past three tax years. Go to the IRS website to order online. To order by phone, call 800-908-9946.

A tax return transcript shows most line items from a tax return as originally filed. A tax account transcript shows later adjustments that either the IRS or the taxpayer made after it was filed. If ordered by phone or online, the transcript should be received in five to 10 days. If an exact copy is needed of a previously filed tax return, it costs $57 as of January of 2015.