How Do You Get a Copy of Your 2013 Tax Return?

Individuals can obtain complete prior year tax returns by filing Form 4506 and paying a fee, according to the IRS. As of 2015, the fee for requesting a copy of a tax return is $57. A completed Form 4506 and payment is mailed to the address listed on the form. Mailing addresses for IRS forms are determined by the filer's state of residence.

The IRS provides copies of tax return for the current tax year and the previous six tax years, according to the IRS. In many cases, a tax return transcript can provide all of the information an individual requires for activities such as applying for student loans or home mortgages. Tax return transcripts are provided by the IRS free of charge.

Several methods of requesting a tax return transcript are available, according to the IRS. To request a transcript online, taxpayers can visit, select the Order a Transcript tool and follow the prompts. The phone number for requesting a transcript by phone is 800-908-9946. To request a tax return transcript of a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return by fax or by mail, taxpayers complete Form 4506T-EZ and mail or fax it to the address or number listed on the form. Instructions and forms for requesting either tax returns or tax return transcripts are available at