What Communities Offer Low Income Housing for People Over 55?


Quick Answer

People over 55 can find low-income housing communities through the HUD Public Housing Program, reports the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Additionally, people over 55 can search for privately owned low-income apartments for their age group using a search engine on the HUD website.

Continue Reading
What Communities Offer Low Income Housing for People Over 55?
Credit: Lilly Roadstones Taxi Getty Images

Full Answer

The Public Housing Program includes high-rise apartment units for low-income elderly, according to HUD. To qualify, applicants must be U.S. citizens or eligible immigrants, meet the income limits and have references that prove they are responsible tenants. Income limits vary from place to place, as they are based on the median income of the metropolitan area or county where the tenant decides to live. Prospective tenants apply through the local Public Housing Agency and must provide documentation to support any information on the application. Often, there are waiting lists for public housing, and the local agency gives priority to those with the greatest need for housing.

To access the low-rent apartment search engine, go to the HUD main page, select Find Rental Assistance under I Want To, and click on Search for an Apartment under Need Help. Select the state where you want to find housing from the drop-down menu, and click Next. Enter the specific city, county or ZIP code where you are searching, select Elderly under Specify the Apartment Type, choose the number of bedrooms you need, and click Next. From the directory listing, contact the unit manager by phone, by email or in person.

Learn more about Real Estate
Related Videos

Related Questions