What College Degrees Qualify You to Work With Disabled Children?


Quick Answer

College degrees that are suitable for careers that involve working with disabled children include a bachelors or masters in special education, educational technology or occupational therapy. A degree in speech-language pathology provides specialty training in treating speech difficulties. Alternatively, a teaching assistant position often has no specific degree requirement.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Special education degree programs are numerous and provide many career options for working with disabled children. This degree leads to work as a special education teacher in a variety of school settings. Special education teachers work closely with children who have disabilities in classrooms ranging from pre-school all the way up to high school. A master's degree in special education may be required in addition to a four year bachelors degree.

Two career choices that also involve working with disabled youth are assistive technology (AT) specialist and occupational therapist. An AT specialist uses various hardware and software technologies to assess the needs of disabled students. A single AT specialist often serves several schools in a district. Strong computer skills are required for this degree. Preparation for an occupational therapy master's degree begins in high school and involves taking subjects such as biology, chemistry and physics. Undergraduate majors to focus on are anatomy, psychology and sociology. Although, a speech-language pathology degree isn't always required to assist disabled children, it is helpful in obtaining state licensing.

Learn more about Career Aspirations

Related Questions