How Do You Change Incorrect Information on Your Medical Chart?


Quick Answer

Patients who find inaccurate information on their medical chart should request amendment of the records to the medical provider or insurance company that created the error. The institution creating the error must amend inaccurate or incomplete information, according to the U.S. Department of Human Services. Patients whose provider or plan does not agree with the request have the right to submit a statement of disagreement for addition to their records. This statement becomes a part of the medical record.

Continue Reading
How Do You Change Incorrect Information on Your Medical Chart?
Credit: PhotoAlto/Eric Audras PhotoAlto Agency RF Collections Getty Images

Full Answer

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act gives patients legal access to their medical records, according to WebMD. HIPAA also allows for the amendment requests. Most states have laws that set time limits for the provision of the documents, but some allow charging the patient for the copies. Patients who do not receive their records should send a second request by certified mail. If they still do not receive the records, they may file a complaint with the regional or national Department of Health and Human Services.

Patients cannot access a provider’s psychotherapy notes, reports the U.S. Department of Human Services. The provider must keep these notes separate from the medical and billing records. In most situations, the provider cannot release these notes without the patient’s authorization.

Learn more about Customer Service
Related Videos

Related Questions