How Do You Change Your Direct Deposit for VA Benefits?


Quick Answer

Veterans who wish to change their direct deposits for Veterans Affairs benefits may do so online, by phone, by mail or in person at a local VA office. As of March 2013, the VA stopped sending paper checks and required veterans to switch to electronic payments instead.

Continue Reading
How Do You Change Your Direct Deposit for VA Benefits?
Credit: Greg Ward iStock / Getty Images Plus Getty Images

Full Answer

Veterans who wish to take advantage of the VA eBenefits program need to create an account on the agency's website. This online account provides veterans with anytime access to their payment histories, information concerning the G.I. Bill and other information relevant to their benefits.

Veterans who wish to change their direct deposit information by phone may do so by calling 1-877-838-2778. Questions concerning eBenefits and other technical questions can be referred to 1-800-983-0937, and veterans with general inquiries about the Veterans Affairs agency should call 1-800-827-1000.

Veterans can also change their direct deposit of benefits by mail. To do so, fill out VA Form 24-0296, and submit it to the address on the form. Due to mailing times, this option takes longer than other methods for changing one's direct deposit.

Direct deposit information can also be changed by visiting a local Veterans Affairs office. The main eBenefits website features a tool on the Contact Us page that helps veterans find the nearest location.

Learn more about Salaries
Related Videos

Related Questions