What Certifications Are Required for Day Care Centers in Oklahoma City?


Quick Answer

The Oklahoma Department of Human Services notes that people hoping to open a day care center for children in Oklahoma City must have a Child Care Center Star Certification. People who want to provide day care for nursing facilities, specialized facilities for developmentally disabled clients and hospital-based skilled nursing units must have approval or qualify for an exception, under Oklahoma’s Certificate of Need laws.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Along with this certification, day care operators need the required licensing to operate in Oklahoma City, and these licensing requirements differ for each type of day care center. For instance, the Oklahoma Department of Human Services defines child care centers as those facilities that provide care and supervision of children and operate more than 30 hours a week. However, it defines part-day children's programs as those that provide care and supervision, generally preschool or mother’s day out programs, for more than 15 hours and up to 30 hours a week.

These facilities have different licensing requirements from each other as well as from other kinds of day care programs, including school age programs, summer day camps, family child care homes, child placing agencies and residential child care facilities. People opening day care centers also have to look at other stars criteria, such as clocked training hours, samples of parent policies, licensing visits, sample daily care sheets and lists of community resources.

Learn more about Managing a Business

Related Questions