What Are Some Careers That Require Taking Child Development Classes?


Quick Answer

Professionals who must take child development courses include day care workers, teachers, child psychologists and nurses. Child development programs include classes on physical growth, infant and early childhood cognition, and child psychology.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Day care workers and preschool teachers must take child development courses to earn the Child Development Associate credential. Day care workers supervise play and learning activities, feed or serve children meals and snacks, and keep children clean and safe. They may work in day care centers, preschools, after-school programs or children's homes. Preschool teachers prepare young children for elementary school using stories, games, art activities and songs. They may teach the alphabet, counting, computer usage, and social skills such as sharing and taking turns.

Elementary school teachers take child development courses as part of their bachelor's degree in education or their teaching certificate. Elementary school teaching involves giving children an educational foundation in reading, math, social studies and science. Teachers must also recognize and intervene when a child is having problems.

Child psychologists may take child development courses as part of a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree in psychology. Psychologists help children recover from traumas or emotional problems using counseling, role playing and play therapy. They may work with children in schools, clinical offices or hospitals.

Registered nursing programs often require courses on child development or development throughout the lifespan. Some nursing careers that involve working with children are neonatal nursing, pediatric nursing, school nursing and summer camp nursing.

Learn more about Career Aspirations

Related Questions