How Can You Get Help With Tax Forms?


Get free online help with tax forms by using Free File software or Free File fillable forms at, reports the Internal Revenue Service. For personal help with tax forms, phone the IRS, or visit a local tax help center, such as Tax Counseling for the Elderly or Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. Although IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers do not directly help with filing returns, visit them to obtain face-to-face assistance with tax issues.

As of 2015, use Free File software if your annual income is under $60,000 and Free File fillable forms if your income is over $60,000, explains the IRS. Call the telephone number listed on the website for live assistance with preparing tax forms or understanding notices that the IRS sends you. Get personal help through a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance center if your annual income is $53,000 or under, according to Use a Tax Counseling for the Elderly center if you are at least 60 years old. When visiting one of these centers, call ahead for an appointment, and bring your Social Security card, personal identification and needed tax documents.

Contact an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center if you have special tax problems, need to comprehend letters from the IRS or need help setting up payment plans, states Most Taxpayer Assistance Centers do not take appointments but operate on a first-come first-served basis, explains the IRS. To find the nearest Taxpayer Assistance Center, go to, and use the office locator, interactive map or table of states.