Where Can You Study to Become an Anesthesiologist Assistant?


Quick Answer

Some recommended schools for education to become an anesthesiologist assistant include Walden University, Grand Canyon University, Azusa Pacific University College and Kaplan University, which offer online-based tuition, and the ITT Technical Institute, which has campuses across 16 states. Many students aspiring to become anesthesiologist assistants enroll in a specialist anesthesiology assistant master's degree program, or else a nursing master's degree program with a specialization in anesthesiology, according to Study.com. Online-based tuition generally incorporates practical experience in addition to distance learning.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

A typical eligibility requirement for enrollment is a bachelor's degree with coursework in biology, chemistry, physics and anatomy subjects. Some institutions may also require applicants to submit their GRE or MCAT scores, or to have spent at least 8 hours in an operating room observing anesthesiologists at work.

Some other popular schools for students pursuing a position as an anesthesiologist assistant are Northern Arizona University, Colorado Technical University, Baker College Online, Saint Joseph's University and Indiana Wesleyan University. Each of these offers online programs, with the exception of Indiana Wesleyan University, which combines online tuition with classroom-based learning, according to Study.com.

When choosing a school, it is important to ensure the program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. Anesthesiologist assistants are required to pass the exam provided by the National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants, so it is also important that the program prepares students for this exam.

Learn more about Career Aspirations

Related Questions