Can You Report Fuel Reimbursement on Your Tax Return?


Quick Answer

Gasoline reimbursements must be declared as income if they appear in a W-2 form, according to Zacks Investment Research. Such reimbursements, however, should not be included as part of income if they are part of an employer's accountable plan and do not appear in a W-2 form.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If the gas reimbursement appears on the W-2, the amount must be added to the wages, salaries and tips line on Form 1040 when preparing the year's taxes, reports Zacks Investment Research. This means that a taxpayer pays taxes on this as income, although such reimbursements can also be counted as a deduction afterward. Reimbursements that are part of accountable plans commonly have to be accounted for in expense reports, and any extra funds have to be returned.

Learn more about Income Tax

Related Questions