Where Can You Purchase a Mother-in-Law Home?


Quick Answer

Where a buyer may purchase a mother-in-law home, which is a home with an in-law suite or an accessory dwelling unit, depends on the home's features and local zoning laws, says The Washington Post. In-law quarters with a separate cooking area or in a separate structure may violate zoning codes.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The typical in-law suite is located within a single-family home, and it consists of a separate bedroom, sitting area and perhaps a bathroom, SFGate explains. Such quarters rarely violate zoning codes. However, an in-law apartment that has a kitchen, or was added on to a home or built elsewhere on the property is considered an accessory dwelling unit, an entirely separate living space. Local zoning codes often restrict such quarters.

Learn more about Finding a Home

Related Questions