How Can You Get Help Paying Your Bills?


Quick Answer

To get help paying bills, apply for a Modest Needs grant, sign up for a rental assistance program and apply for SNAP. These are particularly good options for those not eligible for unemployment benefits, or when the benefits have been maxed out.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Modest Needs is a charity that specializes in providing help to low-income workers in difficult financial situations. The charity helps pay for heating and rent through grants, which means that the money does not have to be paid back. The charity gets its funding mainly from donations; however, it only helps people who are employed.

Rental assistance programs are also available in most states to help people in need. The information is available at the Department of Human Resources or Department of Social Services. Eligibility for the grant depends on the particular state. Other sources of help for both renters and homeowners include the USDA Rural Development Program and Housing and Urban Development.

SNAP is the federal food stamp program that provides low-income families with funds to buy food. The WIC program is a federal grant that provides low-income breastfeeding, pregnant and postpartum women with funds for supplemental foods. The Family Investment Program provides medical coverage and cash payments to families with limited resources and income who have dependent children.

Learn more about Financial Planning

Related Questions