Can Lost Government Bonds Be Replaced?


Quick Answer

If government bonds are lost, owners can request substitute electronic savings bonds from TreasuryDirect, but these are not issued in paper form. Alternatively, owners can ask for cash for their lost bonds, according to TreasuryDirect.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Owners must provide the bond serial number to TreasuryDirect, or if they do not have it, they must provide the specific month and year of the purchase, the Social Security number, all the names and the mailing address listed on the bond. Bond-owners can use this information to fill out and sign form FS Form 1048, and then bring this form to their financial institutions to sign and get the signatures certified. The completed form should be mailed to Treasury Retail Securities Site, states TreasuryDirect.

Learn more about Investing

Related Questions