How Can You Get Income Tax Questions Answered for Free?


Quick Answer

Taxpayers can get income tax questions answered in person at no charge from Taxpayer Assistance Centers in all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, reports the Internal Revenue Service. Taxpayers can also get answers to tax questions through online tools such as the Interactive Tax Assistant and Tax Trails.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To find a local Taxpayer Assistance Center, or TAC, go to the IRS.gov main page, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on Contact Your Local Office, which is located under Our Agency, according to the IRS. Scroll down to the interactive map, and click on your state to find a list of TACs. Taxpayers must show valid photo identification and provide a Social Security number or other form of taxpayer identification number. TACs offer face-to-face assistance with tax issues, usually on a first-come, first-served basis. During peak tax season, they typically have to wait in line for service. Although personnel at TACs can help with tax questions, they do not assist in tax return preparation.

Taxpayers can find answers to many of their tax questions through the Interactive Tax Assistant, advises the IRS. To access the program, go to IRS.gov, click on More, located under the Tools heading, and click on Interactive Tax Assistant under Other Helpful Tools. Click on one of the standard tax questions, or enter your own question in the search box. For answers to more tax questions, click on Tax Trails-Related Topics under Additional Information at the bottom of the Interactive Tax Assistant page.

Learn more about Income Tax

Related Questions