How Can You Fix Your Credit Report?

Fix a mistake in your credit report by ordering and reviewing a copy of the report, writing the credit reporting company about the mistake, and informing the creditor of the error. Be sure to have documented proof of your allegation.

  1. Order and review a copy of the report

    To review your credit reports for mistakes, order an annual free copy of the report from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion from the federally authorized Annual Credit Report website. Check your personal documents to verify any information you think is inaccurate. You can only dispute and remove false information, not true negative information.

  2. Write the credit reporting company

    Write to the credit reporting company detailing the information you dispute, the reasons you dispute the information, and the true facts. Ask that the mistake be corrected or removed. Attach copies of documents that support your claim. Unless it deems your claim frivolous, the reporting company must investigate your dispute within 30 days. They must send you the result of the investigation in writing along with a corrected credit report.

  3. Inform the creditor

    Write to the creditor that supplied the information. Inform the company of the dispute, and provide copies of any supporting documentation. When the information provider communicates with the credit reporting company, it must give notice of your dispute. If your corrected information is verified, the creditor can no longer report the inaccurate information.