Who Can File a 1040EZ?


Quick Answer

Taxpayers can file Form 1040EZ if their filing status is married filing jointly or single, they claim no dependents, and they meet the age and income limitations, reports the IRS. They cannot claim adjustments to income, and the only tax credit they can claim is the earned income credit. Sometimes using a different form is preferable if taxpayers want to claim more tax credits and reduce their tax liability.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Taxpayers filing Form 1040EZ must not be blind and must be under 65 years old at the end of the tax year, explains the IRS. Their total taxable incomes must be less than $100,000 and their taxable interest less than $1,500 as of 2015. Their income must be in the form of wages, tips, unemployment insurance, scholarships or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends. They cannot be involved in a recent chapter 11 bankruptcy case or owe taxes on wages to a household employee. If taxpayers were nonresident aliens for part of the year, they can only use Form 1040EZ if they file married filing jointly.

Taxpayers using Form 1040EZ cannot file as head of household, although it may reduce their taxes, cautions the IRS. They are unable to claim retirement savings contributions credits, tax benefits for education or premium tax credits by enrolling in health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Additionally, they cannot itemize deductions.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions