How Can You Get a Free Copy of Your W-2 Forms Online?


Quick Answer

The only way to get a free copy of a W-2 form from a prior year is through the employer that issued it, according to the IRS. The IRS provides copies of W-2 forms attached to completed tax returns if the taxpayer submits Form 4506 along with a fee.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

W-2 forms originate from the employer, which sends them to the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration sends the information to the IRS, according to the agency. It may take up to 75 days to receive copies from the IRS. Transcripts of tax returns are also available by mailing in a completed form 4506-T. Transcripts are available for the past ten tax years and can be expected within five to 10 days of the receipt of the request.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions