Who can claim a care giver's allowance?


Quick Answer

As of June 2014, your ability to claim a caregiver���s allowance is dependent on a number of factors, including your relationship with the individual you are caring for, the reason why you are providing care and the state you live in. That said, there a number of government programs, family payment options and tax breaks to help procure a caregiver���s allowance.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Some states implement programs to help individuals pay for their caregiver of choice. In some cases, particularly ���participant-directed���, ���consumer-directed��� and ���cash and counseling programs,��� you can receive an allowance for providing care to a family member.

Benefits are also available when providing care to veterans. Providing care to wartime veterans or their spouses makes you eligible for ���Aid and Attendance��� benefits to help for in-home care, nursing care and assisted living resources. To procure these benefits, the veteran must require assistance with daily living activities, such as changing clothes, going to the bathroom and/or bathing. Moreover, the spouse or veteran���s income must not exceed $13,362 for surviving spouses and $20,795 for veterans.

A 2010 law also provides monthly payments to primary caregivers of veterans injured in battle after September 11th. For more information on these benefits, please contact 1-877-222-VETS.

The federal government also provides tax breaks if you pay at least half of your family member���s yearly expenses and if his/her annual income does not exceed $3,900 (excluding Social Security payments). If so, you may claim your family member as a dependent on your taxes, and reduce your taxable income. You may also claim the family member you are providing care for as a dependent if the living expenses you pay exceed 10 percent of your adjusted gross income.

Learn more about Taxes

Related Questions