How Can You Amend a Tax Return?


Quick Answer

Use Form 1040X to change a previously filed Form 1040A, 1040, 1040NR, 1040EZ or 1040NR-EZ, says the IRS. Make sure to check the correct box for the year you are amending, and file a paper form rather than an electronic form.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Amend a previous tax return if you need to correct your number of dependents, tax deductions, total income, filing status or tax credits, notes the IRS. Look on Form 1040X for additional reasons to amend your tax return. To change more than one return, complete a separate Form 1040X for each tax year. You also need to mail the amended forms separately to an IRS processing center.

If you discover you made a calculating error on a previous tax return, you do not need to file Form 1040X since the IRS can correct it for you whenever it processes the return, explains the IRS. A formal request is sent out if you fail to include the necessary schedule or form with your original tax return.

A Form 1040X must be filed within two years from the day you paid the tax or three years from the day you filed the original tax return, whichever date is later, notes the IRS. Expect your amended return to be processed anywhere between eight and 12 weeks.

Learn more about Income Tax

Related Questions