What Do You Call a Scientist Who Studies Fossils?

A palaeontologist refers to anyone who finds or studies fossils. However, scientists who study fossils can be from other branches of science, such as archeology, geology and biology, that examine history by studying the Earth and its resources for clues about the past.

Palaeontology is a term that generally describes more specific fields of study. These include, paleobotany (fossilized plant matter); invertebrate and vertebrate palaeontology; palaeoanthropology (fossilized human remains); ichnology (fossilized prints, tracks and trails); and paleoecology (study of past climate using fossils as clues). The appropriate terms should be used if the area of study is known, otherwise palaeontologist is an acceptable title.