What California Tenants' Rights Are the Most Relevant to the Eviction Process?


Quick Answer

California tenants that live in certain types of housing have special legal protections from eviction according to the Judicial Branch of California Courts. Tenants who live in rent-controlled property, public housing, mobile home parks, recreational vehicle parks, a floating home (boat) or a tax credit unit require additional complex guidelines than filing a standard eviction notice.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

California landlords must give a tenant notice to move out or time to fix a problem. There are varying types of eviction notices and each requires the full explanation of the problem to be legal. All notices must be in writing and give the full name(s), addresses and detail the grievance, as stated by California Judicial Courts.

A 3-day notice for tenants to pay rent or move

The notice must give exactly the amount of rent the tenant owes.

A 3-day notice for tenants to comply with the rental agreement or move

If a tenant is violating terms of a lease or rental agreement, the notice must be in writing and clarify exactly the violation to be resolved or move out.

A 3-day notice to move

This notice is used primarily if there has been a continuing problem that has not been resolved with previous written notices from the landlord.

A 30-day or 60-day notice for tenants to move

A 30-day notice can be used to end a month-to-month rental for a tenant renting for less than 1 year. A 60-day notice to move out is used for a tenant renting for at least 1 year or more.

A 90-day notice to move

A 90-day notice is used when there are special circumstances involved in a request for eviction. This type of notice is used for tenants who live in subsidized housing, rent-controlled property, RV rentals or floating homes. The landlord must have just cause or honest intent without ulterior motive when asking a tenant to leave.

Learn more about Real Estate

Related Questions