The average salary for a medical assistant in Michigan in 2015 is $29,350, notes the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The average salary for a medical assistant in 2015 in the United States is $31,220.
A medical assistant's job duties include:
- Preparing examination rooms for patients
- Attending the doctor during procedures and examinations
- Working closely with patients
- Operating medical equipment
- Completing clerical work
- Handling office management, including accounts receivable
- Performing medical transcription
- Completing medical-office inventories
- Working with health-related business representatives
Most medical assistants have associates degrees. The work also includes on-the-job training, but it is limited. The only other non-academic opportunity for becoming a medical assistant is through military training programs, notes the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.