How Do You Apply for Grant Money to Attend College?


Quick Answer

To apply for federal grant money to attend college, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, reports Federal Student Aid. Students must also fill out a FAFSA when applying for most state and local college grants. Additionally, check with state grant agencies and college financial aid offices for further application procedures in applying for local grants.

Continue Reading
How Do You Apply for Grant Money to Attend College?
Credit: Milan Markovic iStock / Getty Images Plus Getty Images

Full Answer

The quickest and easiest way to fill out the FAFSA is online at FAFSA.ed.gov, explains Federal Student Aid. Alternatively, print out, fill in, and mail a paper FAFSA. Some schools have special software available to help students file FAFSAs. Submitting a FAFSA is the application process for need-based Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grants, and Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants.

To locate your state educational aid agencies, go to WWW2.ed.gov, click on your state on the interactive map, or use the dropdown menu to find your state, according to the U.S. Department of Education. Use the contact information to ask the state agencies directly about procedures for applying for state grants. Peruse the financial aid page on college websites, or communicate with college aid offices directly to find details about grants that colleges offer to students, suggests Federal Student Aid.

Learn more about Credit & Lending
Related Videos

Related Questions