How Do I Apply for Carer's Allowance?

How Do I Apply for Carer's Allowance?

If you are 16 or over and you look after a relative, friend or neighbour who is disabled or ill, you may be able to claim carer's allowance. It is important to check out the current rules and requirements on the official government website, but websites of support organisations such as charities may also have useful advice. As of 2014, the basic requirements are to spend at least 35 hours caring for someone else who is not a child, to earn less than £100 per week, and to live in the UK. You must complete the appropriate form, preferably online, including all personal details for you and the person for whom you care. Details of a valid bank account are also required

  1. Find out about the rules

    Keep in mind that not every carer can claim Carer's Allowance. Make sure you know the rules which apply to the carer and to the individual being cared for. Become familiar with rules regarding Income Support, Severe Disablement Allowance, and Employment and Support Allowance.

  2. Make sure you meet the requirements

    Spend at least 35 hours a week caring for the disabled or ill person. Provide proof that you have lived in Great Britain for two of the last three years. Be sure you are in Great Britain when you apply for Care Allowance and that your net income is not more than £100 per week. Don't apply if you are on a full-time education.

  3. Make sure the person you care for is eligible

    Verify that the person you're caring for is receiving the benefit they are entitled to because they need care.

  4. Find out the standard rate of Carer's Allowance

    Make sure you provide a bank account, National Savings account, building society account, or Post Office account where your payment can be sent.

  5. Apply for Carer's Allowance

    Complete a claim form, or have someone complete one on your behalf. Contact the Carer's Allowance Unit to get a claim form. Visit GOV.UK to download one. Download a claim form from the nidirect website if you live in Northern Ireland.

  6. Report any change of circumstances

    Tell the Carer's Allowance Unit if circumstances change, as it may affect the amount you are paid.