Who Is Allowed to Advertise HUD Rental Homes?


Quick Answer

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development does not rent out homes. As of 2015, any landlords with rental units meeting the program's health, safety and rent standards may advertise that they accept tenants under the HUD housing choice voucher program.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

According to the terms of the HUD housing choice voucher program, once individuals or families receive housing vouchers, they may search for and rent any privately owned apartments, duplexes, townhouses or single-family units that meet the program's requirements anywhere in the United States. Once voucher holders locate suitable housing, the local Public Housing Agency inspects the unit to confirm that it meets minimum standards, the new tenant signs a lease with the landlord, and the Public Housing Agency signs an agreement with the landlord to pay the portion of the rent that the voucher covers. Those eligible for HUD housing choice vouchers include U.S. citizens or resident aliens of limited income who are elderly, disabled, blind or have families.

Public housing is not owned by private individuals but is managed by local Public Housing Agencies. Because the demand for public housing generally far exceeds the number of available units, there is no need for Public Housing Agencies to advertise for tenants.

Learn more about Real Estate

Related Questions