Alfred Meakin Company, Ltd, was founded in 1874 by Alfred Meakin, one of the sons of manufactured James Meakin. An export-based company, it produced ironstone china and white granite ware and employed United States companies to advertise and sell their products using mail-order catalogs.
Alfred Meakin's pottery is noted for the changing emblems on the china and stoneware produced by the company. Throughout the 1870s and 1880s, the emblem was the Bamboo, which changed to the Fishhook and Chelsea in the following decade. In the decades prior to this, the emblem was the Tea Leaf, although this was not exclusive to Alfred Meakin, Ltd.