How Do You Get 401k Information From a Former Employer?


Quick Answer

To find a 401k from a previous employer, contact the United States Department of Labor, ask a previous co-worker if they have the company’s contact information, or check the National Registry for Unclaimed Retirement Benefits, according to the Denver Post. There are also online services to help find 401k information, such as the 401k Help Center.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

If the company has gone out of business, find out the contact information for the administrative firm handling retirement accounts, recommends the Denver Post. If you no longer have any old account statements that include the company contact information, ask previous co-workers for it. You may also be able find the record through an search online for Form 5500 at FreeErisa.com. Companies file Form 5500 annual for their 401(k) plans.

To find information about unclaimed 401k plans or other retirement plans, consult the National Registry for Unclaimed Retirement Benefits, says the Denver Post. This is a database that lists unclaimed account balances.

After finding the 401k plan, there are multiple ways to handle it, according to Forbes. You can roll it into company stock by transferring it to an IRA or keep it in the account until retirement age. Try not to withdraw it early, or you may face penalties.

Learn more about Financial Planning

Related Questions