What Type of Specialist Should You See to Treat Toenail Fungus?

To diagnose and treat toenail fungus, people should see a dermatologist, suggests the Cleveland Clinic. The medical term for a nail fungal infection is onychomycosis. The fungi that grow on toenails can lead to symptoms like a change in nail color and nail thickening, relates the Mayo Clinic.

It is important to see a dermatologist because fungal infection require some type of treatment. Approximately half of most nail problems are related to a fungal infection, states the American Academy of Dermatology.

Some treatment options used for fungal nail infections are an anti-fungal drug in pill form to control the infection and a prescribed anti-fungal cream to apply on the affected nail, reports the Cleveland Clinic. If the condition is left untreated, it can spread to other body areas.