Hair and scalp treatments involve the application of oils, acids, bases and other coating agents to resolve skin conditions and rejuvenate the hair. These treatments are available in over-the-counter products and can be made at home from basic recipes.
Different hair and scalp products are made to treat specific conditions, such as a dry, flaky scalp or to strip hair of build-up left behind by other products over time. When considering a hair and scalp product, select one that is geared towards the specific symptoms that need treating. An already greasy scalp is not going to improve by using a moisturizing scalp treatment.
It may also be possible to treat problems with homemade treatments. Most of these remedies are made up using products found in the household kitchen and allowed to sit on the scalp for about 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing out.
- Raw egg: Egg contains moisturizing fats and proteins and removes bacteria and oil buildup, according to Woman's Day
- Plain yogurt: Yogurt and other dairy products contain lactic acid to dissolve dirts and build-up.
- Lemon juice: This acidic juice is good for loosening skin flakes.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is a great moisturizer for the skin and hair.
- Flat beer: Flat beer contains yeast and protein to help add volume to hair and also give it structure.
- Honey: As a humectant, honey draws moisture to it, making this sweetener great for dry, brittle hair.