According to the International Association of Home Inspectors, hair dryers, like many small appliances, do pull electricity if they are plugged in. This is true whether the dryer is in use or not.
It is important to unplug appliances that are not in use. According to the International Association of Home Inspectors, a defective hair dryer poses a fire hazard if it is left plugged in. Since a hair dryer does pull a small amount of electricity when plugged in but not in use, it is important to remember to unplug it to reduce the risk of fires and to conserve electricity.