The most common ingredients in Cover Girl makeup include fragrance ingredients, alcohol, preservatives, emulsifying agents and colorants. Environmental Working Group (EWG) keeps a running log of the ingredients used in different products and rates their potential health hazards on a scale of zero to 10, with zero to two being a low, three to six being a moderate and seven to 10 being high.
EWG has listed these six ingredients, among others, that are found in hundreds of Cover Girl products.
- Fragrance: listed in 292 Cover Girl products, EWG rates this ingredient with an 8.
- Quaternium-15: this formaldehyde releaser is listed in 216 products and is also rated an 8.
- Propylparaben: this preservative is listed in 883 products and has been assigned a 7 hazard rating.
- Ultramarines: this cosmetic colorant is listed in 473 products and has been given a 1 rating.
- Methylparaben: listed in 574 products, this preservative has been assigned a 4 rating.
- Phenoxyethanol: this preservative also has a 4 rating and is listed in 303 products.