The only way to eliminate split ends is to have a haircut. However, there are other ways people can make them look better and prevent them from happening.
Ways to reduce the appearance of split ends and prevent them from happening include:
- Applying a leave-in conditioner to towel-dried hair adds an extra layer of protection that prevents split ends from worsening.
- Taking a gentle approach to hairstyling is recommended. This means tying hair up with covered elastics and keeping metal away from it. In addition, avoid using heated tools too often, such as hair dryers, curling wands and straightening irons. Heated tools can burn ends, causing them to split.
- Rather than using a brush when hair is wet, use a wide-tooth comb combined with conditioner. Brushes are often rough enough to cause split ends.
- Adding folic acid and biotin to a diet increases red blood cell production, which in turn nourishes the hair as it grows. People who do not want to take supplements can try adding leafy green vegetables to their diet, such as spinach.
- Mashing up an avocado and adding it to the hair for 15 minutes is an effective way to naturally condition it.
- When blow drying hair, pointing the nozzle downwards is preferable to pointing it directly at the hair. In addition, allowing hair to air dry as much as possible is recommended.