There is little scientific evidence that home remedies actually help to regrow hair. Depending on the reason for hair loss, some natural methods may help to boost hair growth or slow down hair loss.
Loss of between 50 and 100 strands of hair per day is considered normal; more than that will tend to cause noticeable thinning and/or bald patches, known as alopecia. Hair loss can occur for a variety of reasons, including stress, poor diet and nutrition and various medical conditions such as thyroid problems or menopause.
Where hair loss is due to stress or medical conditions, those underlying conditions will require treatment or correction.Where poor diet is an issue, there are some nutrients that may aid in hair growth:
- Protein is important, since it will strengthen hair and help promote growth.
- Iron deficiency can cause hair loss; proper levels of iron intake will counteract that effect.
- Zinc, biotin and saw palmetto are assumed to help boost hair growth, although these remain unproven.
Some food items contain nutrients and compounds which are helpful to promoting hair regrowth:
- Onions and garlic contain sulfur which boosts collagen production and in turn hair growth.
- Eggs contain zinc, iron and biotin, so they are a good way to get those nutrients without using supplements.
- Coconut oil contains healthy fats, potassium and iron and can strengthen hair.