What Happens If You Provide Inaccurate Information in a Quit Claim Deed?

Depending on the type of inaccuracies provided in a quit claim deed, it may or may not end up being deemed invalid. Misspelled words in a quit claim deed don't necessarily void the deed as long as the original intent can be determined, according to SFGate.

Deeds with obvious errors can normally be fixed with a Scrivener's affidavit, states GlobalPost. Errors such as misspelled subdivision names or recording information fall into this category and can be rectified with the Scrivener affidavit. The attorney who wrote the deed need only sign an affidavit stating that the deed contained inaccurate information and that the description of the deed should be as listed in the affidavit.

Serious errors need to be corrected through use of a correction deed. Errors that fall into this category include wrong lot numbers or legal descriptions, reports GlobalPost. A correction deed is essentially a new deed that must be signed by both the buyer and seller and contains a reference to the original incorrect deed. If either the buyer or seller cannot be located, the other party may eventually have to file a deed reformation action in court. This process involves presenting evidence to a judge showing that the deed contained errors. If successful, the judge will direct a clerk to sign a correction deed.