Curly yarn can make your dolls and other crafty creations stand out. You can curl your own wool yarn with dowel rods, boiling water and an oven.
- Wrap wool yarn tightly around a wooden dowel
Tie one end of the yarn to one end of the dowel, and wrap it around the dowel in a single layer. When you reach the opposite end of the dowel, cut the yarn, and tie it to the dowel.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil
Make sure the pot is large enough to hold the dowels.
- Place the yarn-wrapped dowels in the boiling water
Continue to boil the water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the dowels from the water
Remove the dowels, and place them on paper towels to drain.
- Remove excess water from the yarn with a towel
Roll the wrapped dowels in a towel to squeeze out the excess water.
- Dry the wrapped dowels in an oven
Bake them at 175 degrees on a cookie sheet until the yarn is dry.
- Remove the yarn from the dowels
The curls remain until the yarn is wet.