Do Colleges Offer Courses in Midwifery?


Colleges do offer midwifery courses, and students usually take them as part of a master's degree program in nursing designed for licensed nurses, mentions the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. Some colleges with midwifery programs include the University of Cincinnati and the University of Michigan.

Midwifery courses might cover such topics as newborn care, antepartum care, women's wellness, health assessment, nursing practice and professional issues, suggests the University of Cincinnati. Midwifery master's programs include other general nursing courses and opportunities for clinical practice. The Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education is the organization that accredits programs in the field. Midwives can also pursue certification from the American Midwifery Certification Board.

Related Videos